I. The Beauty of a Godly Woman 2:9-10 Her Responsibilities
Living in Sobriety
- Avoid A Contentious Spirit 2:8
- Adorn Yourself With Modest Apparel 2:9
a. Dress 2:9a Proper adornment on the outside reflects a properly adorned heart on the inside.
b. Deportment 2:9b Appearance that is simple, moderate, judicious and free from ostentation/flashiness/display.
Jewelry has been used of flaunting a woman’s wealth or calling attention to herself in an unwholesome way. *These are principles for public worship and we should be careful not to become legalistic and prudish. (Song 1:10-11; 4:9 Solomon’s bride wore gold and silver jewelry as did Rebekah Gen. 24:53).
c. Display 2:9c Christian’s must be careful about letting pagan culture set their fashions. Christian women should display a different set of values. The kind of dress that brings attention to you over the God that is to be worshipped is not appropriate. “costly garments”
3. Attend To Godly & Good Works 2:10
1) Personal Godliness 2:10a We must reject the world’s yardstick for measuring beauty and adopt heaven’s (I Sam. 16:7)
2) Practical Goodness 2:10b “theosebeia” refers to reverence to God that loves, worships, honors and fears the Lord.
II. The Beatitudes of a Godly Woman 2:11-12 Her Restrictions
Learning in Silence
- Learning quietly with submissiveness 2:11
- Teaching & exercising authority over a man 2:12
III. The Becoming of a Godly Woman
Laboring in self-control
- Creation’s order
- The Fall’s deception
- Adam was disobedient
- Eve was deceived
- Salvation in childbearing